Thursday, January 2, 2014

Introducing My New Blog: Longview



Cinephilia: the term used to refer to a passionate interest in cinema, film theory and film criticism.

I think I've contracted acute cinephilia. Last year, I tried to list five movies on my best of the year list. I ended up with only three. This year it was a struggle to reduce the list to fifteen. Not that I've gone to the movies a lot. Overall, it's been four times; twice for the first and second installments of The Hobbit, and twice for the latest two Marvel movies: Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. No, I just watch a lot of DVDs. And usually, they aren't even new movies.



A lot of this interest was sparked by Jeffrey Overstreet's marvelous book, Through a Screen Darkly. I was very remiss to not include it on my best books list, but let me now correct the error. While he mostly just confirmed my thinking on movies, and was thus preaching to the choir, he started me thinking back on some films I'd never questioned before. (Another nice thing is that he's very gracious to the more Pharisaical viewer, and cut me off on my path to movie snobbery.)

Anyway, I digress. Because of all this, I've decided to start another blog. Yes, calm down, admiring fans. You will still receive many edicts of wisdom here at Longish, but if you happen to enjoy movies like I do, check out the more specialized reviews at Longview. I've already posted several reviews, so enjoy.

Another shout-out...my dad has just entered the blogosphere with his new journal: What's He That Wishes So? If you were wondering, the title is a reference to the epic St. Crispin's Day speech in Shakespeare's Henry V.

Longish

1 comment:

  1. How cool! I will certainly be checking that out. And your dad's too! Like father like daughter? ;)

    ReplyDelete

WARNING: Blogger sometimes eats comments - copy before you post.